Clair A. Mauch Steel Ring Advisor of the Year
The Clair A. Mauch Steel Ring Advisor of the Year Award recognizes individual achievement in advising by a full-time faculty member. Members of Steel Ring make the selection based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated concern for students’ academic progress;
- Familiarity with administrative, university, and departmental advising policies; and
- Availability to students and recognized ability to positively impact their education.
Advising students entails a variety of activities: selecting courses, answering career questions, directing students to appropriate offices on campus, presenting a listening ear, mentoring them in their chosen discipline, and many times serving as an advisor for student organizations.
Lisa R. Wilken, BAE
This year’s recipient is Lisa R. Wilken, associate professor in the department of biological and agricultural engineering.
- Wilken was the 2017 recipient of the James L. Hollis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.
- In 2016, she received the ASABE A.W. Farrall Young Educator Award, the University Distinguished Faculty Award for Mentoring of Undergraduate Students in Research and the K-State Presidential Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.
Comments from a student:
- "Dr. Wilken strives for excellence in balancing teaching, researching and advising. Because Dr. Wilken knows her students, she does an extraordinary job advising of them – in their coursework, academics and career goals. She not only helps her assigned students, but is also willing to look out for every student who takes her courses."
Julie Thornton, CS, 2017
Malgorzata J. Rys, IMSE, 2016
Chris Ahern, ARE/CNS, 2015
Mustaque Hossain, CE, 2014
Ronaldo Maghirang, BAE, 2013
Garth Thompson, MNE, 2012
Ray Buyle, ARE/CNS, 2011
Julie A. Thornton, CIS, 2010
Todd Easton, IMSE, 2009
Kimberly Douglas-Mankin, IMSE, 2008
Julia A. Keen, ARE/CNS, 2007
Sutton F. Stephens, ARE/CNS, 2006
Larry A. Glasgow, CHE, 2005
Tom D. Logan, ARE/CNS, 2004
Charles L. Burton, ARE/CNS, 2003
Michael N. Hafling, ARE/CNS, 2002
David A. Pacey, MNE, 2001
Ray E. Hightower, Asst. Dean for Student Services, 2000
Malgorzata J. Rys, IMSE, 1999
Mark D. Schrock, BAE, 1998
Charles L. Burton, ARE/CNS, 1997
Prasanta K. Kalita, BAE, 1996
Kuo-Kuang Hu, CE, 1995
Do Sup Chung, BAE, 1994
David A. Pacey, ET, 1993
Bradley A. Kramer, IE, 1992
Medhat M. Morcos, EECE, 1991
Paul R. McCright, IE, 1990
J. Kenneth Shultis, MNE, 1989
Larry E. Erickson, CHE, 1988
Frederick J. Hoppe, ET, 1987
Merrill E. Blackman, CNS, 1986
Robert E. Crank, ME, 1985
Gale E. Simons, NE, 1984
Muthuraj Vaithianathan, IE, 1983
John C. Matthews, CHE, 1982
James K. Koelliker, CE, 1981