Frequently Asked Questions

What are admissions requirements for K-State engineering?

K-State engineering admission requirements are outlined on the Admissions page of our website.

When and how will I know if I have been admitted to the Carl R. Ice College of Engineering?

All admissions decisions are emailed to students from Admission decisions for each fall term begin in July.

Does K-State engineering offer scholarships?

K-State engineering scholarship information for incoming freshmen and transfer students, as well as current students, is located on the Scholarships page of our website.

Are the engineering programs accredited?

Our Bachelor of Science engineering degree programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The Bachelor of Science in computer science degree program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET. The Bachelor of Science in construction science and management degree program is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education.

The new biomedical engineering and environmental engineering programs are not currently accredited, but are working toward ABET accreditation according to its processes and guidelines for new engineering programs.

What if I don’t know what degree I want to pursue?

K-State engineering offers a first-year general engineering programs where students are introduced to all 12 of our degree programs. Once students have decided on a major path they will be moved into that degree program. The only difference in courses that a student takes during the first semester is the intro class.

What is the difference between engineering and engineering technology?

Engineering degree programs emphasize theory and design of concepts for real-world problem solving while engineering technology degree programs emphasize application of existing designs.

What is the difference between architectural engineering and architecture?

Architectural engineers typically work as consultants for architects, designing structural, mechanical and electrical systems in a building.

What are job and graduate school placement rates?

Within six months of graduation, 95% of K-State engineering graduates are employed or enrolled in further education. This data is self-reported to the Career Center by graduates. To view degree-specific information, visit the Undergraduate Programs page on our website.

What is the average starting salary of graduates?

The average starting salary of K-State engineering graduates is $63,233. To view degree-specific information, visit the Undergraduate Programs page on our website.

Are research opportunities available for undergraduate students?

K-State is recognized as a Carnegie R-1 Doctoral Research Institution and more than 900 students in engineering are involved in undergraduate research and creative inquiry.

Will I have time to participate in extracurricular activities as an engineering student?

Many engineering students balance their coursework with at least one of the more than 500 student organizations, clubs or design teams at K-State. We encourage students to participate in these activities to develop themselves personally and professionally, as time management and scheduling skills are valuable attributes for a future career.

Are tutoring resources available?

Scholars Assisting Scholars (SAS) tutoring, Academic Achievement Center tutoring, departmental help sessions, honor societies’ assistance and professors’ office hours are all strong resources for students wanting additional help with their course work.

SAS offers walk-in, peer-to-peer tutoring located inside the engineering complex and supports students in the following courses: Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Differential Equations, Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Engineering Physics I, Engineering Physics II and Macroeconomics.

What opportunities exist in engineering for studying abroad?

Studying abroad is highly recommended for engineering students. Learn more on the Education Abroad website.

Is a course flowchart available?

Each degree program in our college has a flowchart with required course work and options for electives. To view degree-specific course flowcharts, visit the Undergraduate Programs page on our website.

Do advanced placement (AP) or international baccalaureate (IB) credits count as K-State course credit?

AP and IB credits may transfer to K-State depending on the student’s test score. To learn more on how these credits transfer, visit the K-State Credit for Prior Learning website.

Do credits from another two-year or four-year institution transfer to K-State?

Most transfer credit will be accepted but some may not apply to your engineering degree. Any transfer courses with grades lower than a C will not apply to engineering requirements. To see how university-level credit from postsecondary schools transfers, visit the K-State Credit for Prior Learning website.

How many credits will transfer to K-State from another two-year or four-year institution?

Up to one-half of required degree program credit hours may be transferred with at least 20 of the last 30 credits coming from K-State. To view the university transfer credit policy, visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.

I transferred to K-State but not all of my hours for each course transferred. Why?

K-State will only accept hours up to what is offered by the equivalent K-State course.

What is an average course load for engineering students?

It is recommended engineering students take 12-16 hours per semester. If you are working or involved in other non-academic activities (i.e., fraternities, sororities, sports, student organizations, volunteer work), see the Study Guide (pdf) for recommendations.

How and when do I enroll?

First-year students can enroll the summer before the fall semester. Transfer, non-traditional and military students can enroll the semester before their start term. Learn more about the enrollment process on our website.

What is the maximum number of credit hours a student is allowed to enroll in?

The maximum is 21 credit hours per semester. Permission for more than 21 hours must be approved by the college's assistant dean for student services.

Note: In order to be eligible for additional hours, a student may not have received D or F grades during the prior two semesters and must hold at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

What kind of computer will I need?
You can find the computer recomendations on the K-State website.

Is there an honors program?

The University Honors Program is for students who want to grow through challenging coursework, an honors project, access to cultural and performing art events, and education abroad opportunities. To view requirements for this university-level program, visit the University Honors Program website.

What are dual degrees?

Students may elect to earn two degrees at the same time. Requirements for both must be satisfied. Students should confer with each academic dean as early as possible to determine appropriate programs of study.

What is a minor?

Undergraduate minors provide students an opportunity to emphasize study in an area outside their major curriculum. Courses forming a minor may be used to satisfy the general requirements of a major curriculum, including free electives. Students are not required to complete a minor to graduate. A minor can only be awarded to a student upon or after being awarded a baccalaureate degree. If interested, contact the department where the mindor is held.

How do I find out what courses will be offered each semester?

Course schedules and catalogs are available on K-State's website.

How do I find out who my adviser is?

In your KSIS Student Center, you will see the name of your adviser on the right-hand side of the Student Center page under "Adviser." This person’s name is also listed on your DARS report in KSIS.

Note: New students will have their permanent adviser assigned after they have enrolled for their first semester of classes.