Larry E. and Laurel Erickson Public Service Award
This award recognizes a faculty or staff member who has been employed in the Carl R. Ice College of Engineering for at least five years and has demonstrated exemplary public service. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Letter of nomination by a college employee.
- Letter of support from a faculty or staff member of the college.
- Letter of support from an individual who has knowledge of the exemplary public service of the nominee.
- Nominee’s statement (limited to two pages) describing the public service activities during the prior five years.
- Current copy of the curriculum vitae of the nominee.
Steven Warren, ECE
This year’s recipient is Steven Warren, professor in the Mike Wiegers Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Since 2006, Dr. Warren has provided his expertise at Heartspring in Wichita, Kansas, helping improve the lives of children with special needs.
- Dr. Warren played a major role in developing the new biomedical engineering undergraduate program and serves as director. He has also spearheaded the effort to spread the program’s skillset among different groups and organizations.
Comments from a colleague:
- “A major driving force for Steve in many of these activities is a strong desire to make a positive contribution to the lives of others – which lies at the heart of public service. Even though there is little apparent personal benefit in many of these activities, Steve continues to dedicate a considerable amount of effort and time toward them, which is a testament to his commitment to public service.”
Ray Buyle, ARE/CNS, 2018
Ruth Douglas Miller, ECE, 2017
Joseph P. Harner, BAE, 2016
Phillip Barnes, BAE, 2015
Bruce Snead, Engineering Extension, 2014
David Ben-Arieh, IMSE, 2013
Robert W. Stokes, CE, 2012
Anil Pahwa, ECE, 2011
Hani Melhem, CE, 2010
Danny Rogers, BAE, 2009
Robert W. Stokes, CE, 2008
Richard B. Hayter, Assoc. Dean for Ext. Affairs, 2007
G. Morgan Powell, BAE, 2006