Charles H. Scholer Faculty Award
The Charles H. Scholer Faculty Award was established by donations from the friends and family of Charles H. Scholer. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Unique and innovative contributions to student learning beyond the classroom and laboratory;
- Well-respected by students and colleagues; and
- Demonstrated support of students’ extracurricular activities, student professional societies and/or competition teams.
The nomination packet should include the following items of support for the nominee:
- Letter of endorsement from the department head.
- Current curriculum vitae.
- A two-page (maximum) description of the nominee's qualifications which should address the following attributes:
a.Unique and innovative contributions to student learning beyond the classroom and laboratory.
b.Well-respected by students and colleagues.
c.Demonstrated support of students’ extracurricular activities, student professional societies and/or competition teams.
Fred Hasler, ARE/CNS
This year’s recipient is Fred Hasler, associate professor in the GE Johnson Department of Architectural Engineering and Construction Science.
- For the past nine years, Hasler has served as a liaison between his students and a design firm to set up internships, allowing students to gain experience that sets them apart when joining the job market.
- Hasler has dedicated 13 years to supporting and building the ASHRAE and IES student organizations by dedicating his time and resources to make sure members are set up for a successful future.
Comments from a colleague:
- “Fred is well respected by both faculty and students for his extensive skill set, his willingness to help in whatever capacity is needed, and his commitment and dedication to the success of our department.”
Hayder A. Rasheed, CA, 2018
Edwin Brokesh, BAE, 2017
Lisa R. Wilken, BAE, 2016
Kimberly Waggle Kramer, ARE/CNS, 2015
Malgorzata Rys, IMSE, 2014
B. Terry Beck, MNE, 2013
Medhat M. Morcos, ECE, 2012
Keith Hohn, CHE, 2011
Julia Keen, ARE/CNS, 2010
Walt Walawender, CHE, 2009
Hani Melhem, CE, 2008
Larry A. Glasgow, CHE, 2007