1. K-State home
  2. »Engineering
  3. »Student Services
  4. »FAQ

Carl R. Ice College of Engineering

Student Services
1093 Fiedler Hall
1701C Platt St.
Manhattan, KS 66506

Office Hours
Monday - Friday:
8 a.m. - noon
1-5 p.m.

Fiedler Learning Commons Hours
Monday - Thursday:
8 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 1-5 p.m.
Sunday: 1-11 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

Academics FAQ

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

A: In your KSIS Student Center, you will see the name of your advisor on the right-hand side of the Student Center page under "Advisor". Your advisor is also listed on your DARS report on KSIS.

Q: Is it possible to change my advisor?

A: See your department secretarial staff. You must have a reason to change as there is a limit to how many advisees can be assigned to each advisor.

Q:  Will my Advanced Placement (AP) credits count as K-State course credit?

A: Yes. These course credits will be entered in your K-State records; however, they may not apply towards degree requirements. Contact your Department Office if you have questions.

Note: Students will not be able to see the AP grades on KSIS until the 20th day of the upcoming semester.

Q:  How do I change my curriculum to another Engineering department?

A: Pick up a Curriculum Change Form from Engineering Student Services Office in 1093 Fiedler Hall and have it signed. Take your copy of the change form to the new department. You will then be assigned a new advisor within that department.

Q:  How do I change my curriculum to one outside the college?

A: Pick up a Curriculum Change Form from Engineering Student Services Office in 1093 Fiedler Hall. You must meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Services before leaving the college.

Q: What are dual degrees?

A: Students may elect to earn two degrees at the same time. The requirements for both must be satisfied. Students should confer with each academic dean as early as possible to determine appropriate programs of study.

Students who are eligible to graduate with two degrees must file an application for graduation for each degree in the academic dean’s offices during the first four weeks of the semester they plan to complete degree requirements. Summer graduates must file their applications for graduation during the first two weeks of the summer semester.

Q: What is a minor?

A: Undergraduate minors provide students an opportunity to emphasize study in an area outside their major curriculum. Courses forming a minor may be used to satisfy the general requirements of a major curriculum, including free electives. Students are not required to complete a minor to graduate. A Minor can only be awarded to a student upon or after being awarded a baccalaureate degree.

Q: What is a secondary major?

A: K-State offers secondary majors in Biological Engineering, Gerontology, Global Food Systems Leadership, International Studies, Latin American Studies, and Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Open to degree-seeking undergraduate students in all colleges, these secondary majors are designed to be taken concurrently with a primary major. Most programs of study will allow students to take both a primary and a secondary major within the normal four-year program, especially because courses applied toward the secondary major may also satisfy requirements for general education or restricted electives.

Q: What is a graduate certificate?

A: A certificate of graduate study is a non-degree credential designed to provide students with specialized knowledge that is less extensive than, and different from, a master's program. A certificate program represents a focused collection of courses that, when completed, affords the student some record of coherent academic accomplishment in a given discipline or set of related disciplines.

Q:  What opportunities exist for International Study Abroad in Engineering?

A: Study abroad is highly recommended for engineering students.  It is a great opportunity to gain insights into other cultures as well as our own.

Q:  How can I be reinstated, after dismissal, into K-State Engineering?

A: You may petition the Engineering Academic Standards Committee to be reinstated into the college. The Reinstatement Information (pdf) includes instructions, the Reinstatement Petition and Reinstatement Contract

If you prefer to change your curriculum (major), you may petition the Academic Standards Committee of the college you wish to enter at K-State. You will need to contact the Dean’s office of that college for more information.

Q: How do I withdraw from all of my classes?

A: In order to withdraw from all of your classes, you will need to fill out a Withdrawal Form in the Engineering Student Services Office, 1093 Fiedler Hall, and meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Services.


Enrollment FAQ

Q: What is the process of enrolling?

A: You can view information about the enrollment process on our website.

Q: What is a retake?

A: "Retake" is a course that is completed more than once. K-State's retake policy is posted online.

Q: What is the average course load for engineering students?

A: It is recommended that engineering students take 12 to 16 hours per semester. If you are working or involved in other non-academic activities (i.e., fraternities, sororities, sports, student organizations, volunteer work), see the Time Management Chart (pdf) or Study Guide (pdf) for recommendations.

Q: What is the maximum number of credit hours in which I am allowed to enroll?

A: The maximum is 21 credit hours per semester. Approval for more than 21 hours must be approved by K-State Engineering Assistant Dean for Student Services.
Note: A student may not have received D or F grades during the past two semesters and have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in order to be eligible.

Q: How do I drop or add a class?

A: You can add and drop courses through KSIS. To add a course after the first week of classes, you must obtain permission from the class instructor (instructors may issue permission online or complete a paper form) and have your advisor raise your flag. Once you have permission and your flag is raised, you will be able to add the course in KSIS.

Q: How do I find out what courses will be offered each semester?

A: Course schedules and catalogs are available on K-State's website.

Transfer FAQ

Q: What is a transfer credit?

A: Any university level credit earned at a postsecondary school other than Kansas State University.

Q:  How many of my credits will transfer to K-State?

A: All credits will transfer to K-State, however, some may not apply to your engineering degree. Any transfer courses with grades lower than a C will not apply to engineering requirements.

Q: I transferred to K-State, but not all of my hours for each course transferred.

A: K-State will only accept hours up to what the equivalent K-State course is offered for.

View Full Calendar